The committee are pleased to announce the publication of a 3rd revised edition of the Criccieth Heritage Walk booklet.
The first edition and subsequent reprint have long been 'out of print' so it was decided to undertake the production of a new edition with some text revisions by the original authors -Eira & James Gleasure . Included in this edition are 12 historic photograph of Criccieth from the Owen Pritchard collection and line drawings by. Peter Rogers, Noel Hall & Owen Pritchard
Much of Criccieth, as it can be seen today, came into being with two major innovations in communication. The first of these was the turnpike road running from Tremadog to Porthdinllaen, the proposed principal harbour for Ireland, in 1807; and the second, the railway in 1868, which placed the town on the map as a Victorian seaside resort.
However, from far further back in history come the two main sites in Criccieth, the castle and the church. They are situated at a surprising distance from each other, one third of a mile, thus suggesting perhaps that the foundation of each was originally unconnected........
As we ascend Lôn Felin, notice on the left a small whitewashed seventeenth century cottage called Ty’r Felin (13), taking its name from the mill across the road. Next door can be seen the pink-stuccoed ‘Foinavon’ (14), once owned by the Bird’s Custard family, the name apparently deriving from a Grand National winner of that name
.....Across the Maes an early eighteenth century detached stone house known as Caffi Cwrt (4) formerly Cwrt ‘court’, and earlier again known as Tyddyn y Groes ger y Maes Glâs. It appears that the burgesses held court here when rain prevented them from meeting at their usual place on the bridge. This house has been owned by just two families since 1729 and is famed for its home baking. Two medieval strip fields, Llain Fawr ‘large strip’ and Llain Bella ‘furthest strip’, to the rear and left, used to form most of the smallholding of Cwrt up to c.1800 but are now under the railway. Immediately to the left of Caffi Cwrt, where the slate shop now stands, there used to be a smithy.